As much as I love a traditional red sauce pizza, there is something about a Gorgonzola, Apple and Pancetta Pizza that just slaps. I used to live in AZ and I would regular this little spot on my way home from work that made a delicious little Gorgonzola flatbread pizza. The place has closed since, so unfortunately I can’t tell you where it is. I was going through a “cider” phase during these times. I was crushing mad hard ciders apple, pear, pineapple, raspberry. I loved them all. Thankfully at the time I still had a fast metabolism and was working on my feet. I would be in trouble now.
Living in California has been challenging in the pizza department until recently. Thankfully over the past few years the pizza scene has gotten a lot better. However it still is nothing compared to growing up in Connecticut, where you could get affordable and fantastic pizza almost anywhere. Since the pizza scene here isn’t as convenient as back home, I had to learn how to make my own quality pizza. It may take a little extra time and love but it’s worth it. There are a lot of decent pre-made dough’s now too which make it even faster.
I hope you give this Apple, Gorgonzola and Pancetta pizza a try. Tag me on my IG @theslimmerkitchen if you make it!
- 8oz pizza dough rolled out or read to bake flat bread pizza dough (near biscuits at grocery store).
- 1-2 shallots sliced or half a red onion sliced
- ½- 1 cup diced pancetta
- Half an apple sliced thinly ( you can toss it in a little lime juice to keep from browning)
- Roughly 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- ½ – ¾ cup of Gorgonzola Cheese crumbled
- ½- ¾ cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ tbsp. fresh thyme pulled off the stem
- ½ tbsp. fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Drizzle of Mikes Hot Honey or regular honey and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees if you are using fresh dough. Place whatever tray you plan on cooking the pizza on in the oven to heat up with the oven. If you are using a ready to go pizza dough follow the instructions on the package.
- Chop parsley and thyme, set aside.
- Slice onions and add them to a pan over medium heat with 1 tsp. of olive oil to soften. Season the onions with a little salt, pepper and half the thyme. Once they are soft add the balsamic vinegar and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In same pan heat up pancetta for 3-5 minutes. It will continue to cook in oven so it doesn’t need to be fully cooked. When done take off heat and place aside.
- Slice apple thin
- Roll out dough and place it on tray. If the trey was in the oven you need to be careful it will be extremely hot and you will need to work fast. Coat the dough with ½ tbsp. olive oil remainder and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Now sprinkle mozzarella cheese then add the onion and pancetta evenly all over. Now place the apples and lightly brush them with some olive oil. Lastly add the gorgonzola all over. Bake the pizza until golden brown 12-18 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley, thyme and drizzle with Mike’s Hot Honey!