Instant Pot Tri Tip Roast is the way to go. It cuts back the cooking time, and it comes out perfectly tender every time.
I bought this Santa Maria tri tip from Trader Joe’s. It was already marinated, and it was really good. It wasn’t the marinade I usually make (it had a little more salt and pepper than I would normally add), but we still really enjoyed it, and I didn’t have to wait 2 hours for it to marinate. I usually get a 2lb tri tip to make and marinate myself.
I recommend making your own marinade if you can because you can control exactly what goes in it. You can monitor the ingredients, which I really try to do most of the time. When you read the back of some prepackaged marinades, it is scary what they put in it. Once you make one you like, it will become second nature to just whip it together. I use this recipe all the time for steaks. Check out one of my other instant pot recipes here.
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Fresh Lemon or Lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Honey
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- ¾ tsp. Garlic Powder
- ¾ tsp. Onion powder
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- Sprinkle of salt on meat before you sear it
- 2 cups Baby Carrots
- 1 Onion Rough Chopped
- 1 lb. Baby Potatoes (sliced in half)
- 2 ½ Tbsp. Corn Starch
- ¼ cup Warm Water
- ¼ cup Red Wine
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
Crusty Bread for Dipping
- Mix your marinade in a bowl and place it into a large Ziploc, add your meat and shake. Allow this to marinate for 2-4 hours, giving it a shake here and there.
- Remove your meat from the fridge 20 minutes before you begin cooking and save the marinade. Pat your meat dry.
- Turn your instant pot on sauté and add 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Once it’s hot, begin searing your meat on all its sides until they form a crust. This should be 3 minutes each side. Remove the meat and place onto a plate.
- Now de-glaze the bottom of your pan with wine, scraping up the bits. Once done, turn it off and add your beef broth, mix and then place your trivet into the pot. Place meat on trivet. Drizzle a little marinade over your meat. Close your IP and manual cook for 30 minutes. Allow 20 minute natural release before opening.
- Open IP and add your veggies on top and around meat. Add little bits of butter on top and manual cook for 4 minutes. Quick release this time. Remove everything to a bowl except the liquids from the pot. Turn on sauté mode and bring to a boil. Whisk in cornstarch and water slurry. Whisk and cook till thickens, about 3-5 minutes. Taste for seasoning.