Jambalaya seems like a difficult dish to make. However, it is not. If you take the time to measure and prep everything out before you start, it makes it go a lot smoother. Don’t be scared to give it a try. If seafood isn’t your thing, just use some extra sausage and chicken. Traditionally, it is served over rice, so you can do it that way too. I’m just a big pasta lover, so I made it over linguini.
Either way, you can’t go wrong and it will be well worth your efforts.
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil or avocado oil
- 1 skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 ½ tbsp. Cajun seasoning
- 2 Andouille sausage links sliced
- 8 shrimp
- ½ white onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, un-drained. I used the kind with green chilies
- 1 package linguini
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 scallion’s chopped
- Handful of fresh chopped parsley
- ½ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
Cajun Seasoning (makes a lot, store in glass jar).
- 2 tbsp. Garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp. Paprika
- 2 tbsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp. Black pepper
- 1 tbsp. Cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. Dried thyme
- 1 tbsp. Onion powder
- Heat the oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and sprinkle with 1 tbsp. Cajun seasoning cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage has browned and the chicken is no longer pink on the outside. Use a slotted spoon to remove the meat to a bowl – leaving the grease in the pan. Set aside. Add Shrimp and add another ½ tbsp. Cajun seasoning. Cook 2 minutes each side, take out and set aside.
- Add the onions and peppers and the rest of the seasoning and cook until soft – 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and canned tomatoes with the juice. Stir to combine. Add the chicken and sausage back to the pan, stir and add cream. Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Add shrimp back in at the end of 8 minutes.
- Cook pasta al dente and save a cup of pasta water. Add it to the sauce and mix; allow it to sit for 5 minutes to soak up flavors. Garnish and serve.