Spicy Mediterranean Pepper Salad is a wonderful addition to any sandwich, sausage burger or antipasto salad. Traditionally I make this in summer in big batches to enjoy throughout the week while we are grilling but it’s great all year. Do yourself a favor and give this Spicy Mediterranean Pepper salad a try.
- 4 colorful bell peppers coat in olive oil
- 2-4 Calabrian chili peppers de-seed and chopped finely (you can leave the seeds in if you want a lot of spice. Try one first they can be very spicy).
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tbsp. chopped parsley
- 3 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. red wine vinaigrette
- 3-4 cloves of garlic pressed
- ¼ cup olive oil for dressing
- 5 large Spanish or kalamata olives chopped
- 1 tbsp. capers
- ½ tsp. paprika
- Coat bell peppers in olive oil and lay them on their side on a baking sheet. Place them under a broiler with the rack 3 down in the oven. Rotate every 5 minutes for 20 or so minutes till they are darkly charred.
- When you take them out cover with foil and create a seal all around so they are in a pouch. You can also place then on a cutting board with a heat safe glass bowl over them. Lastly you can also put them in a brown paper bag, make sure you close it well and roll it down. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Peel char off, de-seed and slice peppers, then put them in a bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients remaining to make the dressing and then mix it into peppers. Let sit for minimum of 2 hours in fridge.
- Serve with on an antipasto board, in pasta salad, on an Italian sandwich or grilled panini. I personally love it on top of a sausage burger with some provolone cheese or as a side sprinkled with some goat cheese on top on crackers or crusty bread.