Squash and Sausage Pasta is one of my summer favorites to make. It’s easy to assemble and packed full of flavor. Summer is prime time for zucchini and squash as well as fresh herbs and this dish really showcases that. The spicy Italian sausage gives this dish a little heat and balances well with the squash and tomatoes, they just go so well together. This dish is hearty yet light and would be perfect served with a nice chilled glass of white wine outside on a summer night.
- 1 12oz package of penne pasta
- 4 cups of diced zucchini or yellow squash
- ½ large onion finely diced
- 4 cloves of garlic pressed
- 1 package of mild Italian sausage, taken out of casing and crumbled
- 14.5 oz. can of petite diced tomatoes in olive oil and garlic
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- ¼ cup vegetable or chicken stock
- ½ cup of grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- ¼-1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Squeeze of lemon
Optional additions for finishing
- Italian red pepper oil
- Lemon infused olive oil
- Chop and prep all your items. Bring a large pot of water to a boil with some salt. In a large skillet (with high sides), start to brown sausage. Once browned, add onion to soften. Add garlic once onions are soft and stir. Cook for 2 minutes and add tomatoes, oregano, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and stir. Bring to a simmer and add in zucchini. Mix and cover on medium-low for 8-10 minutes. It usually works out to cook during the same time as the pasta.
- Put pasta in water as indicated on box, usually about 10 minutes. Remember to stir it occasionally and also stir the other pan a few times throughout its cooking. Drain pasta and return it back to its pot. To the pasta add your olive oil, squeeze of lemon, Parmesan cheese and mix.
- Remove other skillet from heat and mix in Romano cheese and basil.
- You can mix the two together or serve the sauce over the pasta. To garnish I like to drizzled some hot chili oil over it, extra cheese and basil.